The Platts Global Energy Outlook Forum is a high-level leadership event which annually draws nearly 200
senior executives. With an agenda that demands a lively debate, you'll get a balance of C-Suite strategy and real-world tactics.
8:15 – 9:00 am Setting the Scene: Opening Address
9:00 – 10:30 am
Capitalizing on Fear and Opportunity:
Touring the Energy Investment Landscape
The phrase "lower for longer" is oft-cited referring to crude oil prices. However, it might also convey the mood of producers, lenders and investors, weighed down by uncertainty. Most financiers have turned away from petroleum, stunned by the price volatility seen over the last 2 years. That instability coupled with climate concerns and regulation, bolsters the renewables cause and appeal to investors. While many watch on the sidelines for a fundamental upturn of commodity prices, we'll hear influential visionaries tell us where money is moving and how that will transform the marketplace. Key themes include:
- Bears & bulls eyeing the upswing: is this cycle short or long?
- Winning strategy for 2017: cut debt, cost discipline or invest to grow?
- How does M/A activity resurge, and who will be first to the table?
- Where are lending institutions prioritizing their capital?
- Which region shows the greatest promise for return?
- What indicators are investors tracking, and how will markets fundamentally evolve?
11:00 – 12:30 pm Hunker or Hoist: The Future of Fuels
The rising tide seen in climate change models that engulfs communities is a visual apropos to current commodity value chains. The "golden age of gas", coal consumption collapse and the impetuous pursuit of petroleum reveal a radically new era of supply overload across the board. Climate concerns and economics are constraining the coal industry; and while gas may be the bridge fuel to a cleaner world, not everyone is crossing it. Surviving this flood requires courage and confidence in strategies that range from growth focus during a contracting marketplace and buying on the cheap, to improving financial heath and ratings to hunkering down until bulls re-enter. Our C-suite roundtable will examine the strategies that best position certain fuels for a successful emergence from the high tide. In addition, we'll address:
- Moving markets: speculation and sentiment vs. fundamentals
- Flow reversal reality: US gas exports to the Middle East and beyond
- Climate considerations amidst economic realities
- How shedding non-core assets will transform industry relationships
- Consumer kings: what peak oil demand and weak prices mean for importing economies
- Radical change in power markets up and down the chain
- The important role of storage for supply, demand and trading
12:30 – 2:00 pm Luncheon Keynote Address